is CSS for components
At Wix, we ♥ CSS. Its simple, declarative syntax that is native in browsers is easily the fastest way to add styles to web pages and web apps. But when writing CSS that is scoped to individual components, developers have to maintain highly-specific selectors, using elaborate conventions to fake namespacing. Writing and maintaining CSS across large teams and large projects can be tricky.
We also ♥ TypeScript. TypeScript helps us manage these large projects, exposing at build-time what we could once only see at run-time.
- Extend CSS so that it is easier to use in a component ecosystem, but without losing any of the declarative, familiar, static and fast aspects of CSS.
- Use language services like Code Completion and Validation. Each component exposes a Style API that maps its internal parts and states so you can reuse components across teams without sacrificing stylability or scalability.
- Provide the ability to see our errors at build time or even while working in our IDE. Wave goodbye to silent run-time breakage misery!
So we created Stylable — a CSS preprocessor that enables you to write style rules in CSS syntax, with some extensions that we believe adhere to the spirit of CSS.
What Does Stylable Do?
- Stylable scopes styles to components so they don’t “leak” and clash with other styles.
- Stylable enables custom pseudo-classes and pseudo-elements that abstract the internal state and structure of a component. These can then be styled externally. For example, you can style the label inside a button, or style the play button of a video player from outside these components.
- Stylable sets themes so you can apply a different look and feel across your web application, for example, the same component can use a Wix theme or a Bootstrap theme depending on the page.
- At build time, the preprocessor converts the Stylable CSS into flat, static, valid, vanilla CSS that works cross-browser.
Treating CSS as a type system opens up a whole new world of tooling. You can:
- Get code completion that hints at the internal structure of components.
- Get types for your parameters. And so much more.
Stylable enhances the styling development process.
To get the full Stylable experience, install our VSCode Code Completion Plugin. It supports code completions, diagnostics, go to definitions, syntax highlighting and more.
Shut up and take my money!
No need! Stylable is BSD-licensed. Take it, use it, make your development easier and your apps faster.
Viva CSS, and welcome Stylable. We hope you like it.
Stylable Music Video Enjoy!!
Learn more about Stylable and get started with step by step instructions and code examples.
Access the BSD-licensed Stylable GitHub project.
New ideas will come along, but they will extend CSS rather than replace it. I believe that the CSS code we write today will be readable by computers 500 years from now.— Håkon Wium Lie, co-creator of CSS.